Can’t Buy Today? Maybe It’s Time To Rent.
Originally published 2011 – There are many good reasons to buy a home in today’s market, but if you aren’t ready (or able) to buy a home now, why not rent a property right here in paradise? There are a variety of rental housing opportunities in North County San Diego and in the current economic climate, rental rates are relatively flat. According USC’s Lusk Center for Real Estate, average rates in San Diego County are projected to remain stable for the next two years as the economy slowly rebounds from recession. At least for now, that’s good news for renters. Currently the regional vacancy rate is running around 5%, which signals a healthy, but not over-supply of properties for consideration. Rental rates will vary from region to region. If you are new to the Southern California rental market, here are the average monthly rental rates listed regionally, by county:
- San Diego County — $1.52/square foot
- Los Angeles County — $1.71/square foot
- Orange County — $1.65/square foot
- Riverside County — $1.18/square foot*
The process of searching for a rental can be challenging. Unlike the home buying process, where homes are listed for sale in a centralized MLS database, there is no single clearinghouse for rental homes, apartments, or condos. We wish it were easier to locate that perfect rental, but here’s how we can help. Below we’ve compiled this list of resources that will help you find the right rental for you. With a little work you should be able to compile a shortlist of properties for viewing. Then contact the property manager directly for a showing. Happy hunting and when you get ready to buy, please do touch base.
Craiglist Apartment & Housing Rental Search
- Fallbrook Rentals
- Rainbow Rentals
- De Luz Rentals
- Bonsall Rentals
- Vista Rentals
- Oceanside Rentals
- San Marcos Rentals
- Escondido Rentals
Map Based Apartment Locating Sites Covering North County, Fallbrook, Bonsall and More
- Padmapper.com (preset search for Fallbrook, Bonsall, Rainbow) — Padmapper takes Craiglist listings and maps them onto a user-friendly map interface.
- MyApartmentMap.com — MyApartmentMap.com pulls listings from Craiglist and other online sources.
Other Rental Property Search Sites With North County Coverage
* regional rental rate data sourced from: USC Lusk Center Multifamily Market Report Forecast 2011
Published on Friday, April 22, 2011